Monday, April 27, 2015

What’s On the Menu? (#2)

Well, once I get on a theme, I have to ride it to its conclusion.  Hence, here are some additional home cooking photos…nothing fancy or too out of the box but it is what I’ve been ‘playing’ with in the kitchen. 


Breakfast is my specialty…and leftovers are critical to my breakfast ‘assemblies’.  In this instance I had some leftover roasted potatoes. I sliced one up and browned them in the frying pan.


Then I heated…’crisped up’…some leftover roast beef and put it on top of the potatoes.


Finally of course, I put a couple of easy-over eggs on top of the beef and potatoes.  This resulted in a very satisfying and tasty breakfast!


It had been awhile since we created a pizza at home.  I had another Maria’s small pizza crust and one fresh large crust.  We decided to make them all up…as in my estimation, cold pizza is a fine leftover item to have in the refrigerator!

This was Laurie’s half of the large pizza… It had a light coating of olive oil, pizza sauce, pepperoni, olives, mozzarella, sausage and shredded Italian cheeses.


For my half of the big pizza, I left off the olives and just used the shredded Italian cheese mix… FYI, we both sprinkled our pizzas with red pepper flakes just to add a little heat!


This is the small…extra…pizza.  I used mozzarella, pepperoni, hot Italian sausage, pizza sauce and red pepper flakes.  I did learn something with this ‘extra’ pizza.  Old pizza crusts aren’t worth saving!  This crust tasted stale…unpleasant even…and I ended up just eating the topping.


What is this you might ask?  This is the leftover 'enhanced' cream of chicken soup that Laurie cooked some chicken breasts in for dinner one night. 
She takes a large can of Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup and she adds half and half milk, hot shot pepper mix, garlic powder, onion powder and coarse ground pepper.  I added Tabasco.

I don’t know what I like better…the chicken cooked in the enhanced soup or the soup itself!  I had this leftover soup for lunch one day.  Yum!


We usually avoid potatoes or hash with our egg-centric breakfasts… Usually we just have bacon or sausage with an English muffin plus over-easy eggs. 

However, once in a while, we pig out with some fried potatoes, hash browns, or as in this instance, a can of hash.  I season the heck out of it…with onion powder, pepper, a bit of garlic and some red pepper flakes, then I fry it in butter.  Crispy bits and pieces are critical to success!


Here was our finished product on one recent morning.  Laurie missed her bacon but she agreed that this was a satisfying change of pace!  I was a happy camper…love hash!

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them…

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!


Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

2 comments:

  1. I just finished breakfast and this post made me hungry, especially the two breakfast meals, but everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like your good friend, Big Dude.... ha ha ---I keep telling him that he needs to put out a cookbook about using Leftovers for a great Breakfast.... Now--you need to do one yourself, you and Laurie.

    We stay away from 'good' breakfasts these days --except on Saturday mornings... Then we pig out.. The rest of the week I eat plain Greek Yogurt with strawberries and blueberries. Not quite the same thing, is it?????ha ha

    That Chicken Soup sounds good... I'd chop up my chicken and just make that my meal!!!! YUM.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete