Friday, April 3, 2020

Out for a Drive – A Break in Our Homebound Routine

This post will be published on Day 21 of our Covid-19 self-isolation.  As one of our local humorists has stated, “We’ve all turned into dogs!  We roam the house all day looking for food.  We’re told ‘NO’ if we get too close to strangers.  And, we really get excited about car rides!”

For Laurie and me, the latter is really right on the money!  We love exploring back roads, stopping at local stores and restaurants and just enjoying the sights along the way.  So, in order to at least get out and about for a change of scenery, we have been taking short drives around the immediate area. 

Since our car has an 18 gallon gas tank and gets 28 – 29 miles a gallon on local roads, we can take several drives without filling up.  Given the current situation, buying gas requires sanitizing our hands before and after pumping gas as well as wiping down the pump handle, start button and touch screen...and not touching my face in between sanitizing!



We welcome any excitement we might encounter along the way.  In this case, sink-hole repairs and one-way traffic along TN Hwy. 444 caused a slow-down and something ‘different’ to look at.  In normal times, such repairs would be an inconvenience but nowadays it’s a brief diversion from the norm.



With no traffic behind us on this local road near Lenoir City Tennessee, we were able to stop, take a couple of photos and talk to these goats!  Love goats, donkeys and horses…although donkeys can be rather judgmental!  Goats just tend to be curious and some horses just love attention.


Then we stopped by our local Ingles Supermarket to pick up a couple of things and see what essentials we might be able to find.  We’d determined not to go into the store if it was packed with shoppers but fortunately there weren’t too many customers, and with the exception of one ignoramus, folks and staff were good about ‘social distancing’. 

While we got most of our ‘nice to have’ items, this was what the disinfectant cleaners and wipes shelving looked like in the store.  Fortunately, our neighbor came up with 2 containers of anti-viral wipes...a big help!


…and this was the space normally occupied by the hand sanitizers and related items.  Still GONE!  With the needs of first responders, critical business employees and health care workers being an absolute priority, hand sanitizer will probably be the last product that will be restocked in the stores.


This huge expanse of empty shelving is part of one of the modern mysteries of mankind…the ‘extinction’ of toilet paper.  There are many theories about the mental comfort that a storeroom full of TP means to people psyche, ‘butt’ I don’t get it! 

Perhaps all of these items will someday make it back onto retailer’s shelves and normal consumption…or at least rational consumption, will resume.


Back from our drive and little shopping excursion… Laurie spent some time chilling, messaging and 'Facebooking' on our screened porch. (I took the photo through the screen door) As for myself,  I retreated to my cave, playing with the computer and performing other low key activities.  All in all, it was a beautiful day!


Laurie snapped this photo of another of our little hard-shelled friends working its way up one of our deck doors.  This visitor seemed to be a bit larger than the others we’ve photographed.  The Covid-19 pandemic hasn’t frightened this critter one bit and he/she just keeps sliming along!  Note: This snail's movements closely replicate the current pace of life for us in the Covid-19 era.

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them…

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

4 comments:

  1. Dear David what sad is all this, not only the virus, the people is really crazy, only I go out in necessary things hope this be better day to day, please you and Laurie take care ! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys seem to be doing great and I applaud your hibernation efforts - Bev even refuses to go for a drive fearing a breakdown or accident so it's essential trips only for us, which is very easy or stay-at-home me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m back at catching up the posts I didn’t read. I enjoyed your posts on old postcards. I have wondered about driving to Townsend, TN, but it is at least 3 hours from Nashville and not on the way to GA. Now I am stuck at home as I can’t go anywhere since my daughter, the doc, doesn’t want me to drive either. When we are free again I’ll have to resume my trips to GA.
    The pictures of your foods made me hungry. My daughter had groceries delivered to me 10 days ago so I try to cook with them and what I have on hand, but there is always an ingredient missing. I had broth left over from the corned beef I made and was trying to use it. So I made a black eyed pea stew with it. I added bunch of stuff I found in the fridge and freezer: couple pieces of bacon, 2 left over beer bratwurst, tomatoes with chili, carrots, potatoes, green pepper, onions, garlic, bunch of different spices and herbs, parsley and cauliflower. I was surprised at how tasty it was, but it made at least 10 servings! In the groceries I received was a “family” pack of chicken thighs – big ones, at least a dozen, so am looking at recipes to cook 2 at a time for me – that will keep me for a while too.
    It is so beautiful here today, 73 F with full sun. It’s hard to believe that if we go outdoors we might catch this dreaded virus. It must have felt like that to the people of Chernobyl. Hopefully it won’t last that long.

    ReplyDelete