Friday, July 29, 2022

Where Has the Time Gone? How Can I be This Old?

Another year has passed and yet another birthday has focused me on the march of time.  This time it was one of those birthdays that is considered a ‘milestone’ by some.  It was a positive event in any case.  I’m still here and enjoying life!

So, because of the ‘milestone’ birthday, our Omaha family flew in to help mark the occasion and for the celebration.  Naturally, we took a lot of photos to mark the visit!  From left to right…grandson David III (21), yours truly, Emmett Lee (18), and our son, David II (age is classified/need to know only)

Another photo, this time of the entire Omaha clan.  This time it includes Amy, the proud mama of her ‘boys’.  FYI, given the difficulty and expense involved in travel these days, their visit was easily the most thoughtful and significant present one could hope for… To make it more challenging, there are zero direct flights between Omaha and Knoxville.

Then of course, to mark the occasion “Nana” (Laurie) had her photo taken with our grandsons along with the old guy she lives with, who’s referred to as “Papa” by the boys.

Party or gift bags were available as well… I had insisted that David II and the family skip the gift scene as the visit itself was such a huge present.  That didn’t stop them from bringing some goodies.  I also had a gift bag from Dawn Marie from down in Miami Florida… It was pretty impressive as I'm notoriously hard to shop for.

Among the goodies I received were a “23 and Me” DNA test kit, a color chart used by old guys who collect stamps, a couple of nice large family photos, 3 music CDs I wanted and a book on National Parks.

Another special gift was this “Huskers Grandparent” University of Nebraska t-shirt.  The University of Nebraska (Jeffrey S. Raikes School of Computer Science and Management) is the college where Emmett Lee is attending.  It will be worn interchangeably with my grandparents t-shirt from New York University…David III’s college.

Then of course, we ‘had to have’ a photo with the old guy and his handsome grandsons.  I can’t help but notice that they have great hair…especially in comparison to yours truly!

OK…yes this isn’t a great photo but its all I've got!  DII and DIII seemed oblivious as regarded Laurie with the camera, Emmett was sneaking a peek, while Amy and I seemed to realize that a photographer was at work.  Perhaps the others were mesmerized by the flames evident in front of me…

It seemed appropriate that I should end this post with a photo of the old celebrant/codger with his birthday pie just about when the dulcet tones of the family singing “Happy Birthday” filled the room.  For those of you who are food focused…much like yours truly…it was a French Silk Chocolate Pie. 

And so another milestone in life has passed… Not that the rest of the family visit won’t be covered in future posts.  I just couldn’t let that happen could I?  There was area exploration and of course, dining out too!

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them…

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

4 comments:

  1. Happy belated Birthday, David! It looks like that you had a GREAT time with your family. You looked good in that red T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday David and I assume the milestone involved an 8. Glad the family came in to help celebrate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 80th David! I've got less than a month to join you! Also expect family to gather...isn't that a great thing to remember the event by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While these birthday 🎂 wishes may be slightly belated, Dave, my best wishes to you for a wonderful 🎉celebration all year long. It was great that the Omaha family was able to come and join in the celebration, which made it all the more special for sure. And, the gifts looked special as well. I was curious as to which music CDs were in your gift bag.

    ReplyDelete