Friday, June 17, 2011

A Little Italian Cuisine in Charleston SC

When we took our little trip over to Charleston back in April, we decided to try something other than low country or southern style cuisine.  After a little checking around and reviewing my trip planning notes for possibilities, we decided that we were in the mood for some Italian food.


This is Bocci’s Italian Restaurant.  It’s located in downtown Charleston on Church Street between South Market and Cumberland.  Laurie took this photo right after we finished dinner and then dashed across the street to the parking garage.  Dashing was required due to gutters filled with water, pouring rain and, as you might have noticed, a fair amount of hail!  


It had been awhile since we’d had any fried calamari…so that was our appetizer.  The calamari was lightly battered and crispy, relatively tender and very tasty.  The home-made marinara was nice and rich…with lots of flavor. ($8.50) Both of us also ordered a glass of wine to accompany our meal…


I jumped out there, (for me), and I ordered something I wouldn’t normally chose.  This blurry photo, (what can I say, I should have let Laurie take the photo), was my entrée.  It’s Bocci’s Seafood Alfredo. ($19.00) This dish is composed of scallops, shrimp and mussels in a rich cream reduction sauce over home-made fettuccine noodles.

It was really too rich for me… The combined flavors of the scallops and mussels along with the rich Alfredo sauce was almost too much for my taste.  While I’m sure that many diners would really appreciate this entrée, it was just OK for me…a bad choice from my viewpoint.   

Laurie was more sensible…ordering something she wouldn’t normally have, but still staying within her comfort zone.  Still, she isn’t really a big fan of red sauce, except on pizza.  This is the Ravioli Arrabiata…spinach and walnut ravioli tossed with Italian sausage, fresh spinach and Bocci’s spicy marinara sauce. ($16.00) She really enjoyed her dinner although it was so rich that she couldn't finish it. 

Bocci’s was a nice change of pace for us.  When we return, I will order differently…but hey, that’s just me!  This is a quality restaurant with warm décor, and our wait staff was pleasant and competent.  

FYI...for you ghost enthusiasts, Bocci's is reputed to be haunted by a female ghost from back in the time when the building was occupied by the area's first Irish pub.
Bocci’s Italian Restaurant is located at 158 Church Street in Charleston South Carolina.  The restaurant is open for lunch beginning at 11:00 AM and for dinner beginning at 4:30 PM.  Phone: 843-720-2121.  Check out their website at: http://www.boccis.com/cms_pages.

1 comment:

  1. The food in those photos looks amazing, I am literally getting hungry right now.

    catering service in manila

    ReplyDelete