Friday, May 15, 2020

A Bit of This and Some of That…

Drifting on through the Covid-19 pandemic era… Bored, sometimes confused due to mixed messages, missing family and friends, worried about the economy and the future, all real factors in our lives.  All we can do is to maintain safe distancing and follow hygiene guidelines while doing what we can to support local businesses…

Today’s post is a mishmash of food, friends and family.



The other morning we woke up (late as usual) and discovered that we had a new colorful gift in our yard!  Our friends Linda and Norm had stopped by in the early AM and had dropped off another one of Norm’s cheerful painted rocks.  We placed this one by the street so that passerby’s could enjoy it! 

Thanks Norm!  Spreading happiness...


Sometimes my ‘waste not, want not’ approach to food can get a little old.  We’d purchased a pack of flour tortillas for tacos a week or so earlier.  I’m not a huge wrap fan but I didn’t want to waste food so I put together a number of non-taco combinations just to use up the tortillas.
 
In this case, I just buttered one of them and then I smeared it with peanut butter and added sliced strawberries and strawberry jam.  Then I heated it just long enough to melt the butter.  Another breakfast…mission accomplished.  Over time, the tortillas also served as a base for melted cheese and, on another occasion, a cheese and sausage wrap.


I like to have sliced meat on hand.  I pick up sliced ham from our Food Lion Grocery Store as well sliced turkey, chicken and roast beef from Costco.  I freeze the packages until I run down on other sandwich options.  I particularly like the Kirkland Seasoned Roast Beef!




This sequence of photos shows my assembly of yet another wrap…the final one as the tortilla wraps are finally used up!  When is a sandwich not a sandwich?  When it’s a wrap?  This could be a debate topic for sure…

In any case, I started out by lightly buttering the tortilla. (Everything is better with butter!) Then I smeared it with some Di Bruno Bros. Cheddar and Horseradish Cheese Spread.  Add 3 slices of the roast beef, roll it up and microwave for about 20 seconds just to warm it up a little.  Satisfying and filling with minimal bread.



Speaking of beef…and the ‘temporary’ meat shortage that’s being reported.  The first photo shows our local Food Lion’s beef cooler about 3 weeks ago.  It had some gaps and misses, but it wasn’t too bad.  The second photo shows that same beef cooler this past week!  Not too much to choose from…   Where’s the beef!  Note: We were there again about 3 days ago, and the good news is that they were fully stocked!


As I’ve mentioned before, we usually keep our evening meals simple.  In this case, I grilled some kielbasa and we sided it with some fresh asparagus.  Laurie didn’t make a sandwich…but I did!  It was good too…and yes, I do eat kielbasa with ketchup.  No apologies!


On Mother’s Day, our daughter-in-law Amy, sent us this family photo with David III, Amy, Emmett Lee and David II.  It is a happy looking group!  We sure miss them… 

David II and Amy are taking advantage of ongoing stay at home protocols by maximizing their ‘together time’ with their 19 and 16 year old sons.  Lots of games and cards being played.  At the boy’s ages, family together time is hard to come by!  In the not too distant future the family is ‘escaping’ their home stay.  They’ll be spending a few days at a self-contained cabin in South Dakota’s Custer State Park.  The family should have a great time…and a safe one too… Great idea!

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them…

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorite quick snacks is taco sized flour tortillas filled with something (often sliced cheese and mustard) or just plain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely and nice post David. Have a nice weekend !!
    And take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, haven't spent much time in Blogger Land lately, friend David. Good to see, that you and family are still happy and healthy. Lovely pic:) Always, c.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on not wanting to waste any food, David. It is the same in our home. I liked the roast beef taco sandwich roll-up and we wanted to get kielbasa this week, but the local supermarket was all out. I see a kielbasa sandwich in our future maybe this week, but we prefer horseradish mustard with ours. However, I do use ketchup on a hot dog!

    ReplyDelete