Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Around the House…Not Much Happening

Another break from my posts about our exploration of the area around Lexington Kentucky… It’s been quiet around here.  We just haven’t been doing much and we’re still being cautious regarding Covid-19, as we’re both fairly vulnerable for various reasons.  We do plan to begin putting ourselves ‘out there’ in March…


Despite all the construction in our community…over 300 homes being built…we are still getting occasional visits from our local deer.  In this instance, these 3 does were enjoying the grass in the side yard of the house right behind ours. 

With 2 lots sold across the street from us at the front of our home, the woods will be leveled and the deer will probably put in fewer appearances.  But because we live near the edge of our community, we may still see some deer from time to time, even after the new homes are built.

Our neighbor Sherry gifted us with a corn feeder station designed for squirrels.  I think the idea is that if you place it away from the house and the bird feeders, the squirrels will be diverted to this optional source of food.  Given the inquisitive and exploratory nature of these cute tree rodents, (or pests, whichever you prefer), I think that the reasoning is just a bit faulty…


The other day we were watching “Delicious Destinations” featuring Andrew Zimmer on the Travel Channel.  This episode was all about food in Denmark, specifically Copenhagen, which is that country’s capital.

One item that was featured was licorice by a company called Bulow.  Laurie loves licorice and we were both curious, so later in the day I went on-line and bought 2 small jars of Lakrids by Bulow.  One was their sweet black licorice, unadorned or flavored and made from licorice root.  The second version was what they call the Classic…salty caramel and chocolate coated licorice.  We liked them both…with the black licorice being our favorite.  I really like the Classic but it doesn’t stay on the palate as long…

To learn more you can go to Bulow’s site at Lakrids by Bülow: Luxury Liquorice and Chocolate (lakridsbybulow.com).  The company is also on Amazon.

Now onto a couple of basic meals at home…

A couple of days earlier, we’d made Tacos using strips of beef sold for use with fajitas or tacos by our local Food Lion grocery store.  There was 2 lbs. of meat, so we had leftover spicy taco flavored beef for me to ‘play with’.  I did fail to take photos of our tacos…

In addition to the leftover seasoned beef, we had a stack of cooked egg noodles that needed to be consumed.  Laurie doesn’t like most leftovers so it’s usually up to me to come up with ideas for their use.  However in this instance, she suggested that I just combine the taco meat with the noodles after reheating them in a frying pan with a little water.  Once the noodles were warm and soft, I added the meat along with some ‘hot shot’ spice and cayenne pepper to kick it up a notch.  It was a very satisfying dinner…

This was Laurie’s breakfast the other day.  An English muffin with peanut butter and strawberries on the side.  FYI, I do believe that next to lobster, peanut butter is Laurie’s favorite food!

Then there was my breakfast!  I still had a pile of those egg noodles combined with the strips of taco seasoned beef… It was an easy decision to reheat the noodles and beef and then drop two easy-over eggs on top!  I sided it with a slice of buttered Asiago toast.  Of course, after taking the photo I added Tabasco to the eggs.  My day was off to a great beginning…

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them…

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

5 comments:

  1. We love licorice too! Lobster and peanut butter :-) Laurie has a good taste, David. The deer are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed at how adaptable the deer are. I'm with Laurie on peanut butter so I avoid it as much as possible. Your pasta and eggs looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love peanut butter, and grew up on it for lunches. You are welcome to come play with my leftovers any day of the week...because I always make more than I can eat and some usually goes in the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see a fried egg post again! Been awhile! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sure is a lot of new homes going up in your community, Dave, and too bad the wooden areas will be sacrificed too. I agree with Laurie about peanut butter being a favorite food, even straight out of the jar! Nice to see more of your food creations.

    ReplyDelete