Friday, March 18, 2022

Breakfast, Dinner and a Sign…

Out and about one recent morning, we decided to stop for breakfast.  We do love breakfast out. (That is, breakfast prepared for someone other than ourselves)


Our choice this time was a restaurant in Madisonville Tennessee, the county seat for Monroe County Tennessee.  Lamp Post Restaurant has been a local favorite for many years.  When the original owner decided to retire, it was rescued by local residents and it was reopened after a short closing.  This restaurant always seems to be busy and it was no exception on this occasion.

For the most part Laurie has been eating lightly in the last few months and her breakfast for this particular morning was no exception.  She went for 2 easy over eggs, bacon and a biscuit.  It was a basic breakfast but she was very content.  She especially liked that biscuit.

As for myself, I ordered 2 eggs over easy, a sausage patty and one of Lamp Post’s biscuits smothered in sausage gravy.  I kicked it up a notch with the bottle of Tabasco that Laurie carried in her purse.  My problem was that the sausage gravy lacked much sausage and it was fairly flavorless.  Breakfast was just OK for me.

I suspected that those sausage and spice might pop up when I ordered my meal but I had to give it a try.  For the best sausage and gravy in the area, it can be found at Mama’s Grits for breakfast, which operates as part of “Little Italy” in Loudon Tennessee!


So…how about breakfast at home!?  We had recently enjoyed a rolled pork roast and I had leftover roasted red potatoes and several slices of the roast itself.  I cut the pork into small pieces and sliced up the potatoes.  Then I fried both in lots of butter with added pepper and garlic powder.  After I had a nice crust on the bits of pork and the potatoes, I finished it all off with a couple of easy over eggs and a slice of toasted buttered rye bread.  

While I like having breakfast out, it’s hard to beat breakfast cooked to our tastes.  I really enjoyed this feast…but if I remember correctly, this particular morning Laurie went for yogurt mixed with granola. 

One night this past week, Laurie decided to make one of my…and her…favorite meals, meatloaf!  Her meatloaf consists of 1.5 lbs. of ground beef and 1 lb. of spicy pork sausage with a mix of spices and either Italian breadcrumbs or panko.  No vegetables allowed!  She tops the whole loaf pan of protein off with about an inch of parmesan cheese.  It browns up and adds even more ‘punch’ to the meatloaf. 

This was my dinner…a slab of meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy and a split slice of warmed and buttered focaccia bread.  Excellent!  Even better is the fact that 2/3 of the meatloaf was leftover and we both love leftover meatloaf.  It makes for great sandwiches…

Remember my last post to the blogsite?  It showed a survey crew doing what they do…but right across the street from our house.  We knew that the lot had been sold, but this sign put the nail in the coffin!  The Architectural Control Committee hearing took place on St. Patrick’s Day but we’re sure that the plans will be approved.  We did stop by our Property Owners Association office to view the placement of the new home and its exterior structure.  The razing of the woods could happen at any time now and it appears that an adjacent lot is also about to be cleared for yet another home.  Such is life!

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them…

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave   

4 comments:

  1. Well, that's just terrible that everyone seems to be making sausage gravy without any sausage in it! I just enjoyed my simple breakfast this morning...which was somewhat closer to your wife's fare, with a bit of bacon for the first time in 2 years (at least) since the heart attack. I'm taking a break from the good diet that was recommended. Is it suicide by bacon? I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that your homemade breakfast and dinner look way better, David. We always LOVE homemade meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never figured out why normal sausage gravy in this area is white paste with very little sausage in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We agree that breakfast out is a great way to start the day, especially when we're traveling and there's no other option. Biscuits and gravy is not a side we order, but hash and potatoes are always welcomed. Meatloaf is a favorite here as well, but we do include some veggies in the form of shopped peppers and onions which help keep it moist.

    ReplyDelete