Saturday, July 9, 2011

Dinner Construction Project!

Well...the other night, we just didn’t feel like putting together a normal dinner for two… We each went our own way and pulled together whatever we could find in the refrigerator and/or in the pantry.  Well, I'm not a gourmet chef by a long shot...more of just a full-time diner.  I’d noticed a leftover cheeseburger patty, a hoagie bun and I knew that we had a can of Hormel Hot Chili in the Pantry. 

When I mentioned what I was thinking about for my dinner, Laurie suggested that I add a couple of fried eggs to the plate…and then I was off and running.  I knew what my final construction was going to look like!

These were my basic starting ingredients… To these, I added pepper, a quantity of onion powder and some coarse garlic bits.  I chopped up the cheeseburger and heated it up with the hot chili.  When that was heated up…and a little crusty in the bottom of the pan…I fried the eggs and then scattered the shredded cheese over the top of my monumental dinner.


This is the finished product!  I added the peperoncini’s to pop it up a bit...and to provide a little vegetable content with my dinner.  After Laurie took this photo, I sprinkled Tabasco over the entire structure.

It wasn’t quite as good as my favorite breakfast ever… While attending Michigan State University, I used to eat at a place called Uncle John’s Pancake House.  They served a similar construction…only they used buttered Texas toast and a freshly fried hamburger…whole and right off the grill.  Still, I had a tasty dinner and I wasn’t hungry again until the afternoon of the next day.

This breakfast/dinner construction project is dedicated to Big Dude at http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/.   Big Dude, also known as Larry, is the master of the creative breakfast.  He puts together leftovers and other ingredients that he has ‘just laying around’ in a fashion that defies my limited imagination…and he does this in the morning…when I’m barely functioning… Here’s to you Larry…!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Dave - you are a genius. This looks awesome indeed and thanks for the dedication.

    ReplyDelete