Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Special Birthday Dinner!

Once again, I survived to ‘celebrate’ another birthday!  The question always is, ‘What do I want to do on my birthday?’  We usually go out for dinner by ourselves or with friends.  The night prior to the actual date, our friends Karen and Charlie took us out for my 'birthday' dinner and then we relaxed and played cards at their house… It was a very nice time indeed!

I’d already decided that we would change it up this year and just make dinner at home… Of course, the menu consisted of some of my favorite foods!


To be honest, it would have been less expensive to go out for dinner… We’d visited Fresh Market and I’d selected this nice hunk of prime rib as my protein for my feast!  I love good prime rib and prime rib done at home beats almost any prime rib you can get in a restaurant…


Laurie seasoned the roast with worshershire sauce, cracked black pepper, Kirklands steak seasoning,onion flakes and Italian seasoning. Then it went in the oven at 325 degrees with a meat thermometer set a 135 degrees.  Our goal was medium rare and the challenge was that we were using Laurie’s new oven for roasting for the first time since it was installed.  We did of course use a meat thermometer…so that was a plus!


As the prime rib and some small mixed variety potatoes roasted in the oven, I sautéed broccoli, pepperoni, crushed red peppers and roasted garlic cloves in grape seed oil.  The combination of ingredients gives this combo quite a bit of ‘pop’ flavor wise!


When the prime rib roast came out of the oven, it was a beautiful thing!  We took it out when the thermometer hit 135 degrees and it crept up to 140 before I sliced it up.  In hindsight, we should have ignored the book and pulled it out at 130 degrees in order to achieve a ‘true’ medium rare roast. 


This was my birthday dinner plate!  Luscious prime rib seasoned just right, plated with the roasted varietal potatoes and gravy, the sautéed broccoli and a chunk of garlic bread that we’d also purchased at Fresh Market.  It was a great meal and the best part of it was that I had prime rib leftover to eat on sandwiches and just ‘straight up’ for about a week!


I did get a fair number of birthday cards plus emailed greetings this year…although it was nowhere close to the number that my better half receives for her birthdays.  Also, I get a weekend to celebrate but somehow she manages to celebrate her birthday for a couple of months each year!


For dessert...and so I had a candle to blow out, I had a hunk of peach pie.  Note the classy John Deer shirt that I wore for dinner… We are truly retired and living the life in East Tennessee!

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them…

Thanks for stopping by to share my 72nd birthday dinner with us!


Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

7 comments:

  1. Your prime rib looks cooked to perfection. What a great birthday meal. Happy Birthday David and may you have many, many more. Your life is indeed very good.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Birthday, BDD! Your prime rib looks gorgeous. It's my favorite meat, rare, and you did it up just right. Glad you didn't have to work too hard blowing that candle out! :-) Here's to many more years of the the good life for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated happy Birthday Dave and it looks like you were treated to a fine meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very Happy Birthday Dave!! I wish you wonderful years ahead filled with happy and healthy days, joy, laughter and of course good food.
    The dinner is perfection. There really is nothing like a good prime rib and leftovers are always wonderful. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...ahem...
    ♪Happy Birthday to you!!!♪
    ♪Happy Birthday to you!!!♪
    ♪Happy Birthday dear Dave!!!!!♪
    ♪Happy Birthday to you!!!♪

    :D

    A very happy day to you, Dave! What a feast! We actually rarely go out on birthdays...those are days best spent at home with family and friends. Plus, I always love baking myself a strawberry shortcake :)

    Prime rib is usually what we choose too for special occasion. Yours looks cooked to perfection. And the peach pie sounds like a perfect way to close the evening.

    Hope you had a wonderful and relaxing day.

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to YOU..... Seems as if we are almost the same age!!!!! Of course, I'm the OLDER one... ha ha

    Looks like a perfect Birthday at Home. We both love Prime Rib (cooked just like you did ---medium rare). YUM.... In fact, the entire dinner looked wonderful...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday Dave. Your prime rib looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete