Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Seafood for Dinner +

…continuing with our visit from Laurie’s sister Bonnie and Bonnie’s husband Bill.  They both love seafood and they decided that Bonefish would be a great dinner destination.  The previous evening, we’d stayed home and had a hearty beef stew that Laurie and I had put together...


Bonefish was their restaurant of choice.  Laurie and I frequently dine here for her birthday or other celebrations…such as an anniversary.  This particular location in Knoxville/Farragut’s Turkey Creek shopping center, is fairly close to our home.

I noted that the dining room never really filled up with customers…and it was a Friday night.  Perhaps burgeoning inflation and growing credit card debt is beginning to really impact the middle class.  I do know that while this is the exception, Laurie and I are eating out less while tending to dine in lower cost restaurants.  Given the lack of customers, this didn’t appear to be a promising evening for the wait staff but it was great for those of us who were being served…

Bill love Brussel Sprouts…as do I!  The difference is that I can’t eat them (greens in general) as they negatively impact my meds.  So…I had to watch Bill devour this appetizer special, a platter of roasted Brussel Sprouts. ($9.90) He thought that this was a terrific start to his dinner…and I did eat one little piece to confirm what I thought.  Bonnie was treated to a couple of bites too.  We agreed that they were delicious!

So…I ordered an appetizer as well.  This was my Tempura Crunch Sashimi Tuna. ($13.90) The sushi-grade tuna was seared rare and sliced with sashimi sauce and tempura crumbles.  It was served with wasabi, soy sauce and it was accompanied with a sriracha drizzle.  It was excellent…as confirmed by Laurie, who is a real sashimi lover.

Both of the ladies decided to go all out so they each ordered a pair of Cold Water Lobster Tails. ($38.90) Each of them were served a pair of 5 – 6 oz. lobster tails, seasoned and steamed, then served with warm drawn butter.  The lobster tails came with 2 sides, so the ladies got to choose between coleslaw, seasonal vegetables, jasmine rice, garlic whipped potatoes and French fries.  Two happy wives!!!

While Bill and Bonnie went for beers, Laurie decided to try a special Bonefish Grill adult beverage.  It was the Smoked Old Fashioned Woodford Reserve Bourbon with Angostura bitters and a Bordeaux cherry…smoked with oak and served over a ‘colossal’ ice cube. ($13.10)

Bill decided to order the seafood special.  This was the Rock Butterfish stuffed with lump crabmeat. ($28.90) He sided it with broccoli and jasmine rice.  He thought it was very nice but he did second guess his choice…

For my entrĂ©e, I went with the Mahi-Mahi and Shrimp. ($24.90) A wood-grilled mahi-mahi filet was paired with 5 jumbo shrimp…all brushed with a light citrus-herb marinade.  The seafood was very nice indeed.  For my sides, I just asked to for double up with the jasmine rice…although if I could have, I would have had that nice looking steamed broccoli like Bill had.  I saved some soy sauce as well as some wasabi…so I mixed it in with the rice…and I was happy.

We did have a nice dinner…no problems at all.  This particular Bonefish Grill location is found at 11395 Parkside Drive in Knoxville Tennessee.  Phone: 865-996-9777.  This restaurant’s website can be found at: https://locations.bonefishgrill.com/tennessee/knoxville/11395-parkside-drive.

Time for a couple of photos from our home…

Laurie took this great photo of ‘our’ Northern Flicker on our feeder.  She actually held still for Laurie!  When she or her mate comes to feed, they just stays put until they’ve eaten their fill.  The only other birds that we’ve seen challenging them at the feeder are the mockingbirds… 

Time for a simple breakfast…just leftover cheesy potatoes, pan fried in butter to ‘brown them up’ a bit.  Then I just dropped 2 over-easy eggs on top of the potatoes for a very satisfying meal.  Of course, I did sprinkle it with Tabasco after I took the photo.  I must be ‘slipping’ though…as there was no meat or bread accompaniment!  I did however adhere to my home dining mantra, “waste not and want not”!  It was plenty to eat!

Just click on any photos to enlarge them…

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

3 comments:

  1. I love Brussel sprouts, esp. when properly prepared with lots of butter and bacon :-) BUT, I can't eat them either...they bloat me and my tummy hates me for that whenever I decided to eat them. Why eating brussel sprouts in a seafood restaurant? I love me some lobster tails!! Eggs are great and I had 4 and lots of lamb for breakfast after fasting 48 hrs...time to fast again :-)) Beautiful Northern Flicker. Happy Spring, David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice meal for you all. Delicious everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Brussels sprouts do look delicious but I'm always amazed that you guys can eat a meal after those big appetizers.

    ReplyDelete