Friday, June 28, 2024

Out for Breakfast - Second Chance

I'm still having issues with my new computer and all its 'updated' and, for me at least, unnecessary upgrades, bells and whistles.  This is my first attempt at posting to my blogsite using a totally different routine than I have previously.

On this particular day, we were headed off to Costco for our first visit in at least 5 months.  We'd decided to stop for breakfast prior to shopping...which would hopefully inhibit any hunger pangs and limit how much we spent on food and other goodies.


We'd eaten at First Watch before, but it was several years ago.  Laurie liked it but I was unimpressed at the time.  However, since this First Watch location is right next to Costco, we decided to give it another look...


In our initial visit to this First Watch location several years ago I hadn't noted this outside dining option.  Basically it's a covered patio with big garage doors.  While it's a nice change for those who favor any resemblance to outdoor dining, with temperatures in the 90s (F), there is no way we'd consider it.



I'm not big on booth seating but these booths were quite roomy and easy to get in and out of.  The dining area isn't overly decorated but it was clean and fresh looking.

For those of you who are not familiar with the First Watch chain of restaurants, it is a breakfast, brunch and lunch operation.  This particular location is open daily from 7 AM until 2:30 PM.


Laurie ordered the First Watch "Classic Benedict". ($13.79) Her breakfast featured two poached cage-free eggs on top of toasted ciabatta bread that is piled with smoked ham and vine-ripened tomato, then covered with hollandaise sauce.  The benedict was accompanied by organic mixed greens which were 'lemon-dressed'.

Laurie enjoyed her breakfast although she didn't really care for the 'lemon-dressed' greens.  I sampled her eggs benedict and I personally thought that the hollandaise sauce lacked any 'punch' and the ham was just OK.


For my breakfast, I ordered what First Watch calls "The Traditional". ($12.49) It featured 2 cage-free eggs with my choice of bacon, smoked ham, chicken sausage patties and turkey or pork sausage links.  I opted for the pork links.  The meal was served with the First Watch whole grain artisan toast, all-natural house preserves and fresh, seasoned potatoes.  

The eggs and sausage links were good but, as shown in the photo, the toast was buttered after it was cold.  Actually the toast was hard and a loser in my opinion.  I have 2 problems with the potatoes at First Watch.  Number 1, they don't offer hash browns.  Number 2, their potatoes are cooked with onions and they don't offer them any other way.

We also had coffee ($3.89 each) and one small fresh orange juice. ($3.29) Our bill for breakfast with tax and before the tip came to $40.80, 'just a bit pricy' for breakfast.  Our server, Whitney, was pleasant and helpful.  This particular First Watch location can be found at 111 Lovell Road in Farragut Tennessee.

Note: Perhaps I'm out of step with the times.  There are 537 First Watch locations in 29 states, but I'd prefer a little local diner anytime.    


Continuing with the breakfast theme...back to our house and a recent breakfast I enjoyed a week or so ago.  It consisted of 2 leftover bacon-wrapped beef tenderloin steaks on English muffin halves, topped with a couple of easy-over eggs.  It was an excellent beginning to my day!


OK, this might not look like breakfast but I don't like wasting food so I cobbled together this early morning repast using what I had on hand.  I had some leftover tortilla chips, some leftover hot dog chili (a Michigan tradition), lots of shredded cheddar cheese and a jar of pickled sliced hot jalapeno peppers.  It was very tasty, but looking back on it, why didn't I top it with a couple of over-easy eggs!?

That's about it for now.  I'm still trying to find a better way to navigate the new computer so it's not a struggle to integrate my photos for blogging purposes.  At this point its a bit of a challenge, so the schedule for my next post is up in the air.  

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them...

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

4 comments:

  1. Not my kind of breakfast...we don't eat out any more, because we are really picky eaters..I don't want my food cooked in over processed so called vegetable or seed oil...I want tallow, lard or ghee...the restaurant staff looked at me like I am from another planet. Have fun with your new computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess we won't be going to First Watch as yours didn't look to good and it's about $3 too high. Hard to beat steak and eggs and before I read your comment, my first thought was where are the eggs on the last meal - great breakfast minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not a place I'm inclined to visit! Thanks for doing the gastronomic taste testing for my royal highness self. I'd go for the steak and eggs breakfast before any others. Back in the day that was always the choice breakfast for the morning after a party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Dave, and getting a new anything up and running can be frustrating. Maybe in a future post you will show what type of computer you bought. As for the breakfast at First Watch, the ones you showed and described would not have enticed me to dine there. Eggs Benedict should always be on English muffins and nit served with salad😉

    ReplyDelete