Friday, September 27, 2024

Food, a Purchase, and More

You knew that I wouldn't stay away from one of my favorite topics...food...for very long.  No restaurants this time though!  This isn't one of my more cohesive themed posts, that's for sure.  In addition to food, I've included a birthday photo, the latest photo of the new house diagonally across from us, a cat and a club meeting, featuring a plethora of mostly old guys.



You may or may not recall the side dishes of "Mexican Street Corn" that both Laurie and I had with our meals at Bonefish Grill.  Waste not, want not!  Add cream cheese and some seasoning to the leftover corn, then side it with a little fried deli sliced chicken and then add to easy over fried eggs.  It was a substantial and satisfying start to the day.


Here is yet another makeshift/make-do breakfast.  We'd made a quick meal using some pasta, garlic butter sauce and canned chicken (drained, seasoned and fried in butter).  Since there were leftovers, all I had to do was reheat the pasta and chicken in a frying pan and then add a couple of easy over eggs. 


Laurie has been working on weight loss and lowering her A1C as well.  She's been using Mounjaro and her appetite has been significantly reduced.  This is an example of one of her smaller and healthier meals.  Half a ham and cheese sandwich and 2 slices of locally raised tomato, a little blue cheese dressing and fresh basil.  She has lost a lot of weight!



Moving back to the not so healthy, we spotted a new cookie shop in Farragut's Turkey Creek shopping area.  It's name, as you might guess from the box, is Crumbl.  Our feedback is that while the cookies were tasty, they were also small...and at about $2.90 each with tax, they were ridiculously expensive.


Laurie and I love gyros, schwarma, donair, al pastor or doner kebab, whatever name you prefer.  We purchased these pre-packed gyros at Costco...and we were hopeful.  Good gyros are hard to find around here.  I heated them in a frying pan with a little butter...grapeseed oil would have worked to.  After browning them up a bit and frying some pita bread that we'd purchased at Food Lion, we plated them over cucumber slices and diced tomatoes.  Laurie added sliced onion to hers...  


This was my serving of gyros.  We had also purchased a big tub of tzatziki sauce while we were at Costco...and we both lathered it on!  Of course I added Tabasco to my serving.  Conclusion...this was a very satisfying gyros experience and we'll do it again... 



I'll bet that you'd never guess what this group is all about... Note the age of the attendees as well as the preponderance of males.  It is a meeting of the Knoxville Philatelic Society...i.e., stamp collectors.  While it is a satisfying hobby, most stamp collectors are old guys.  In addition any stamp collector that started out collecting stamps as a long term investment has been badly disappointed.  Unless you bought high end stamps, (like the upside down US Airmail), this is a satisfying hobby with no hope for a financial return.  Despite this fact, it is estimated that there are about 5 million stamp collectors in the USA. 

I think that Laurie likes my stamp collecting efforts.  It 'keeps me out of the bars' and she has come to an agreement with me that whatever I spend on stamps...she spends an equal amount on stuff she wants.


We love cats and dogs...but we like them best when they belong to other humans.  This is "Tiger" and he belongs to our friend Glen.  Laurie took this photo the last time we paid Glen a visit and went out to lunch.


I'll end this post with an important milestone.  Our friend and neighbor Sue recently celebrated a significant birthday.  We were happy to be part of the celebration... Happy Birthday Sue!  We're looking forward to our next outing with you and Steve.

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them...

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

2 comments:

  1. Your breakfast meals look very good. I need to follow Laurie's weight loss lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the deal between you and Laurie :-) My husband used to collect stamps too. Now I think they are all in the cellar. Good that you enjoy eggs. I love them and yesterday I made an omelette with 10 huge eggs. Happy Birthday Sue!

    ReplyDelete