Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Searching for a Great Breakfast!

We are always looking for that elusive restaurant…the one that serves the best breakfast around!  We were in Omaha and our son and his wife suggested a couple of restaurants for a family breakfast.  I got on-line and did some research to see what I could find.  I shot down one idea that had been suggested because although the menu was creative, it was just too ‘fussy’ for my taste…

Then I found what looked like the ideal breakfast joint…at least from our viewpoint!


This is Vidlak’s Brookside Café…a family owned restaurant that has been in business for 18 years now.  The on-line reviews were generally favorable and I really liked what I saw on the menu.  It was “Breakfast 101” with enough variations to be interesting.


The interior of Vidlak’s was plain and simple, just what I would expect from a local family owned restaurant.  It’s all about the food at the right price…especially since I was buying for the 6 of us!  The restaurant was clean and the service prompt.  Coffee came promptly and it kept coming… 



This is the “Gut Buster”, 2 scrambled eggs, 2 large sausage patties and 2 German potato pancakes…served with either toast or a couple of silver dollar pancakes. ($8.49) It received high praise from David II!

The menu includes 6 different Egg and Potato Casseroles; 6 different scrambles (including roasted turkey breast and broccoli topped with hollandaise sauce); 9 old fashioned favorites; 4 ‘Benedicts’; 8 Pan Omelets and; a plethora of pancakes, French toast and other items.  There is also a kid’s menu.


Our grandson, David III, is a growing boy! (Almost 14 years old) He ordered the French Toast ($4.49), an order of Hash Browns ($1.99), and a couple of sausage patties ($2.49).  He was a happy camper!

His brother, Emmett Lee (soon to be 11), had cereal…


The table was awash in Biscuits and Gravy! (Half Order - $2.99/Full Order $4.99) The biscuits were good and the sausage gravy was loaded with pieces of sausage.  It was given a score of 4 out of a possible 5 by our table.  It wasn’t the best ever but it was pretty good…


I’ll bet you can guess whose breakfast this was?!  Yours truly went for the Hungry Man’s Breakfast. ($8.49) It consisted of 3 eggs over easy, 3 strips of bacon, 3 sausage links and some very nice hash browns… I chose the toast over the pancakes so I could make a sandwich and mop up the yokes!  This was a very good and satisfying breakfast…


My picture of our daughter-in-law’s breakfast didn’t come out well… She had a breakfast scramble.  This is Laurie’s breakfast…the basic!  Two eggs over easy (perfectly done), 4 nice slices of bacon and hash browns done medium crispy, just the way she likes them! Another winner for sure…



I think that Amy ordered this Cinnamon Roll on the side. ($2.99) It was as advertised…gooey, hot and delicious!  Looking back at the menu, I noticed Cinnamon Roll French Toast ($4.99).  Maybe the next time!

We all enjoyed our breakfasts!  The prices were reasonable too… This may not be the best breakfast ever, but it was superior to 90% of the places we’ve eaten at.  We will return to Vidlak’s during future visits to Omaha.

Vidlak’s Brookside Café is located at 156th and West Center in Omaha Nebraska.  Phone: 402-330-0914.  Website: http://www.vidlakscafe.com/.  Vidlak’s is on Facebook as well.  Go to https://www.facebook.com/VidlaksBrooksideCafe.

Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them…

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you found a good one - the German potato cake looks especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the menu, I'd have to go everyday for a month to try the breakfast and lunch dishes that appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's my kind of breakfast! Goodness I wouldn't know where to begin. It looks fantastic. Those biscuits and gravy are right up my alley...I love rich, comfort foods like that. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness, that gut buster looks so delicious! They all are! Here in Sicily you know what people usually have for breakfast...an espresso!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dave, I think that all of the dishes look wonderful. I do enjoy a good breakfast. In fact I love breakfast and coffee. There really is nothing better. Catherine

    ReplyDelete