Friday, April 26, 2024

Breakfast for Dinner and More…

…continuing with our home bound ‘happenings’.  It’s easy going time in the spring here in East Tennessee.  The good news is that Laurie will be free (we think) from her walking boot as of this coming Tuesday.  We continue to go for exploratory drives, casual meals out, etc.

The latter leads me into eating out and food in general…

We like Waffle House Restaurants.  Yes, we have had less than positive experiences in a couple of them and yes, the food isn’t gourmet nor is it particularly healthy.  Our bad experiences were due to a couple of locations we’ve visited where the staff wasn’t a team…friction was obvious and the usual friendliness was missing.  When all is well team-wise, eating at a Waffle House is like eating with a big family.  

FYI, if you sit at the counter and a true grill master is at work, that alone is worth the price of admission!  

In this case, we had breakfast for dinner at the Waffle House in Madisonville Tennessee.  Nothing fancy… Laurie had the basic breakfast with 2 eggs over medium, bacon and raisin toast, plus hash brown potatoes.

I still have never had a waffle at Waffle House… I just never get past the protein offerings.  My breakfast was just like Laurie’s…well, sort of.  I had ‘normal’ toast with my eggs and I ordered the sausage patties.  I like to make a sausage sandwich with my toast when I’m done with the eggs and the hash brown potatoes. 


Each of us had identical helpings of hash brown potatoes…way too much actually.  They were good but we’d asked for them to be a little crispy and I guess everyone has a different interpretation of ‘little’.  They were ‘crispy’ but still good.  Of course we also ordered coffee…always good…and an orange juice to wash down our evening regimen of pills.

This particular Waffle House (#2297) is located at 4625 US Hwy 411 in Madisonville Tennessee.  Website: Waffle House #2297 - MADISONVILLE, TN.  Most Waffle House Restaurants are located in the southeastern USA with a scattering in the lower Midwest, Texas and Oklahoma.  Outliers exist in Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado.  As of April of this year there are 1,988 Waffle House Restaurants.


While we were eating dinner at Waffle House, we suddenly noticed emergency vehicles racing down US Hwy 411…police, fire trucks and ambulances.  We hadn’t heard any crashes but when we looked out the window beside us to see where all those flashing lights had gone, we noted that they were all gathered around the entrance to the shopping center where Waffle House is located. 

At first glance, we couldn’t really see what the fuss was all about…

A closer view disclosed the reason for the emergency response.  Note the wreckage in the street plus that black SUV in the ditch.  It appeared that it had been hit/side swiped and had rolled over on its side.

Everything got more serious when we saw the wheel on the ground, the jack being used to stabilize the wreck…and all the first responders working to free one or more people from the SUV.  The good news is that no one died and the accident didn’t make the local news.

Moving on…


On another occasion I grilled a couple of really nice porterhouse steaks that we’d purchased from Fresh Market some time ago.  Nice weather is grilling weather!  I actually managed to grill them perfectly…medium rare for both of us.  The potatoes were commercially packaged cheesy potatoes…and were ‘prepped’ in the microwave. 

Yes…the steaks were very large.  The good news is that Laurie rarely eats leftovers so I have to take charge and ensure that no food items are wasted!

No surprise for anyone who knows me.  I love breakfast!  What carnivore can resist leftover strip steak, (one side of the porterhouse), paired with over-medium eggs and a slice of ‘healthy’ buttered multi-grain toast.  It was a great start for my day!


Laurie and both took photos of some of our Iris plants that are blooming in one of our front flower beds.  The flowers are both delicate and flashy! 

There are 310 accepted species of iris.  They are perennial plants, growing from creeping rhizomes or from bulbs, depending on their environment.  FYI, Presby Memorial Iris Gardens in New Jersey is a living iris museum with over 10,000 plants.  The black iris is the national flower of the Kingdom of Jordan.

That’s all for now.  Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

3 comments:

  1. Bacon, steak and eggs...all Great! I don't miss carbs since I am satiated eating some fatty juicy steak. Last days I had lots of pork belly and beef ribs. Made some burger patties and onion rings for my husband today. Beautiful iris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Waffle House but haven't been to one in years. If I had a restaurant where most of the cooking was done on a flattop, I'd hire a Waffle House cook. Hard to beat steak and eggs for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waffle House was in a discussion at lunch at the senior center today. We bemoaned the loss of the one that had been here in Black Mountain, but admitted that just a few miles away along I-40 there were others. They have always been reliable for good wholesome breakfast foods. But I added that this was the site that was chosen when my son and fiancé announced their engagement, complete with photos on Facebook for all their friends. A nice homey touch from people who used to stop off for breakfast on their way home from partying. I think not so much these days, as they've been married 5 years and one is in AA successfully sober. Yet your food did make my mouth water...oh those hashbrowns!

    ReplyDelete