Friday, April 12, 2024

Dinner at a Diner – Easton Maryland

I’m nearing the end of posts related to our late September/early October backroads exploration of the Delmarva Peninsula with Laurie, her sister Bonnie and Bonnie’s husband Bill.  So…as our last day of our adventures came to an end, it was time for dinner.  One more night and we’d be headed home.


The group decided to keep our dinner simple…no fancy food and no seafood for a change.  We chose the Easton Diner – Family Restaurant and Bar which was located close to our hotel.



The bar was bright and shiny, looking more like an old-time soda or ice cream bar.  One doesn’t see too many ‘diners’ with full service bars.  The interior of Easton Diner was definitely colorful…although it could use some new carpet. 

We stayed with the basics.  This hearty chicken noodle soup was the ‘soup du jour’. ($3.99 cup/$5.99 bowl) It was very satisfying and quite flavorful. 

Bonnie ordered the Roast Turkey Dinner. ($13.99) It came with the ‘soup du jour’ or the salad bar, plus 2 vegetables and a roll.  With the lack of color, it isn’t appealing to the eye but it delivered that satisfying ‘diner’ turkey dinner that was expected. 

I think that Laurie had the Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. ($11.99) It came with the ‘soup du jour’, French fries, coleslaw and a pickle.  Lots of crispy bacon made it ‘right’ for Laurie.

I’m guessing that Bonnie ordered the Egg Salad Sandwich. ($8.99) It also came with the soup or salad bar plus French fries and coleslaw.  No one had any complaints or issues with these basic sandwiches.

I just had to be different!  My dinner selection became clear for me once I learned that I could order breakfast for my evening meal!  So I ordered the Country Fried Steak and Eggs breakfast. (Price unknown as I can’t find a current breakfast menu on-line)

As you can see, my 2 easy-over eggs are covering my country fried ‘steak’ and I have a nice portion of hash brown potatoes and 2 slices of buttered rye toast on the side.  I didn’t quite understand the brown gravy they served on the side with the breakfast…must be a local thing.  Tabasco wasn’t available so I used a lot of Frank’s Hot Sauce with my meal.  Breakfast for dinner makes me happy and this was no exception!

We didn't have any dessert...too much food for the previous several days.  However I did take a photo of the dessert display which was loaded with several versions of the Smith Island multi-layer cake.  FYI, the original version of these cakes can be ordered on-line directly from the Smith Island Bakery.  They resemble a prinzregententorte, a Bavarian torte.  Check out the shopping options at Smith Island Cakes | Fast Nationwide Shipping | SIBC.

We decided that our meals ranged from OK/average to very good, about what one might expect in a diner.  The Easton Diner – Family Restaurant and Bar is located by the north bound lanes of US Hwy 50 and its intersection with MD Hwy 33 toward St. Michaels.  The actual address is 8451 Ocean Gateway in Easton.  Website: Welcome to Easton Diner & Family Restaurant - Easton Diner MD.

Just one more post related to our fall 2023 adventure…and that will be on our way home.  Just click on any of the photos to enlarge them.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

4 comments:

  1. The turkey actually looks really tender and juicy. Eggs and steak sound great to me. I have never had hash brown..looks quite crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of diners and diner food and I'm a big fan of breakfast food anytime of the day so I likely would have ordered the same thing as you but with the eggs on the potatoes (which I'm having this morning but with home fries).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some really good looking food there at the diner. Sure breakfast makes a great dinner! But my southern upbringing wants to call it supper. Usually what our family had on Sun. evenings after a dinner at noon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, there's nothing quite like basic food served in a diner. These have been some of our favorite places to eat on road trips. Breakfast for dinner is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete