Time for more locomotives from the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis County, Missouri
This is a Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific 1+B-D-D-B+1 gearless bi-polar electrically powered locomotive. It has 12 traction motors mounted directly on the driving axles...eliminating the use of gears. It was built by General Electric in 1919 to pull passenger trains through the Cascade mountains. Among the transcontinental trains that this locomotive pulled was the famous Olympian Hiawatha. This E#2 locomotive is jointed in 3 flexible segments so it could negotiate the mountain curves.
Next, here is a 2-10-0 Decapod type freight locomotive built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works for Imperial Russia in 1918. Russia contracted for 1,200 of these units. Twenty of them were purchased by the St. Louis - San Francisco (Frisco) Railroad.
Due to WWI, this locomotive was first assigned to the Southern Railway, then the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railway and finally the Ft. Smith, Subiaco & Rock Island, before finally going to the Frisco. Still operating, in 1951 it was sold to the Eagle-Picher Company in southeastern Oklahoma for work in their zinc mining operations. The museum acquired this locomotive in 1961.
This is the "Silver Charger". It was built by the General Motors Electro Motive Division for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad in 1939. Locomotive #9908 was the last of the early "Zephyr" trains in which the car body housed the engine and doubled as a mail/baggage car. This unit was also the last 'shovel-nosed' locomotive in service.
The Museum of Transportation is located at 3015 Barrett Station Road in St. Louis County, Missouri. Web Site: http://www.museumoftransport.org/. Phone: 314-965-6885