Monday, January 31, 2011

Native Americans...


The following four pictures are photos of pencil drawings of Native Americans. They were drawn by my brother, Robert (Bob) Thomson. In my opinion, this first drawing is the best of the grouping...climaxing years of Bob's efforts to enhance his drawing skills. They are amazingly detailed, almost like a photo, only softer...
I didn't know that this drawing existed until this past summer, when one of my cousins gave it to me during a visit to Michigan. I wish that I had one of the early drawings of twigs and leaves that Robert had drawn when he was about 9. Sadly, all we have are photos...

Bob's primary medium over the years was oil paint. Two of my previous postings featured some of his work. "Railroad Art" was posted on July 18, 2010 and it featured a large painting of Union Station in Kansas City. The same posting also featured a painting depicting a classic diesel 'stream liner' passenger train coming down the tracks. The first painting is in the private collection of a art & antique dealer in Kansas City but the whereabouts of the second painting is unknown.

My second posting of Bob's works was back on September 18, 2010. It was entitled "Ships From the Past" and it included a pencil drawing of the tugboat 'Goliath' as it guided a tramp steamer into port. That drawing is part of my collection of family artworks. Also posted on the same blog was an oil painting of the 'William S. Mitchell", a Corp of Engineers side-wheel paddle boat, also know as the death dredge. That painting is also part of the antique/art dealers collection in Kansas City.


As for these four drawings, the first and third are in my collection and my son has the second and fourth sketches in his collection.
As time goes on, I'll post more of Robert's art work. Unfortunately, most of Bob's works were sold or lost, many in a fire at his home a few years ago. In recent years, poor health has hampered his ability to draw and paint... Hopefully, he'll soon be able to once again pick up the pencil and the paintbrush, both for his personal satisfaction and ours...


4 comments:

  1. He does nice work - look forward to seeing some more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Incredible work! So special that you can put them up here. Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talent runs in your family, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David,

    I love the first drawing as well. Bob has an amazing skill! As a result, I would like to know if I can have permission to draw Bob's first drawing myself for a wood burning piece. A friend of mine does wood burning and builds furniture using true wood. His company name is called Morgan Handcraft and you can look him up on Facebook. However, and out of respect for Bob's talent, I would like approval. Please feel free to email me at mike.perry78@hotmail.com

    I hope Bob gets better soon because he has true talent!

    Thanks,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete