This is the depot in White Deer Pennsylvania. It was built by the Reading Railroad in 1912, right after the previous station burned down. Originally, Reading took over this rail line from the Catawissa, Danville and Milton Railroad. This was also the eastern terminus of the White Deer Valley narrow gauge lumbering railroad.
Here’s a close up of the depot. It now serves as a museum as well as the home and primary meeting place for the Central Pennsylvania Chapter of the National Railroading Historical Society. This chapter was formed back in 1973…and it was chapter number 133 when it was founded.
There is a fair amount of rolling stock on hand on the Museum’s property. Here we have a couple of old cabooses as well as some work/inspection cars. The museum itself is open on Sunday afternoons only.
This attractive railroad line shack has been moved to the White Deer Depot and Museum site and preserved.
The rolling stock includes quite a few passenger coach cars. Very short railway excursion trains are periodically dispatched from the Deer Valley Railroad Museum. The museum has 2 engines…a small old Plymouth switcher and a GE-45 ton switcher. (Unit #10)
Thanks to Milton’s Mayor Nelson for directions to this semi-hidden location. The White Deer Depot and Railway Museum is located just south of White Deer Pennsylvania just before the old dismantled railway bridge over US Route 15. Turn west on Depot Road.
Just click on any photo to enlarge it…
Thanks for stopping by for a visit!
Take Care, Big Daddy Dave